Help support TMP

"28mm AWI 23rd Welch Fusiliers" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Gallery Message Board

758 hits since 1 Sep 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Lord Raglan Inactive Member01 Sep 2011 11:14 p.m. PST

I have up loaded photos and some brief historical information for the 23rd Welch Fusiliers:

link

Raglan

Personal logo Sparker Supporting Member of TMP01 Sep 2011 11:42 p.m. PST

Lovely figures. Which one's Serjeant Lamb?

Actually he was in the 9th Foot, which later amalgamated with the 23rd to form the Royal Welch Fusileers.

He wrote a stonking account of the AWI, which was later recrafted by Robert Graves, who served in the RWF in WW1:

link

Not very popular in the States at the time though, as it didn't gel too well with some of the more popular myths about that war…

Lord Raglan Inactive Member02 Sep 2011 12:01 a.m. PST

I actually served for a brief period with the Royal Welch Fusilier Battalion when I was a staff sergeant in the Army Physical Training Corps back in the 80's.

Raglan

Supercilius Maximus02 Sep 2011 2:24 a.m. PST

<<Lovely figures. Which one's Serjeant Lamb?

Actually he was in the 9th Foot, which later amalgamated with the 23rd to form the Royal Welch Fusileers.>>

There was no amalgamation, the two regiments remained separate throughout the war (and ever after). Lamb was captured at Saratoga, but later escaped back to New York where he was transferred into the 23rd Foot – there were many escapees from the Convention regiments, and all of them were dished out to the regiments under Howe/Clinton.

<<He wrote a stonking account of the AWI, which was later recrafted by Robert Graves, who served in the RWF in WW1.>>

Graves' account is, of course, a novel; the American historian/re-enactor Don Hagist has produced a new edition of Lamb's own journal which corrects some errors and takes out all the material that Lamb was not personally a witness to. Don is a leading expert on the British Army in the AWI – and probably THE expert on the ordinary soldier – and I would thoroughly recommend his book to anyone wanting to read Lamb's story:-

link

95thRegt02 Sep 2011 3:16 a.m. PST

Some of my favorite,and most historically accurate figures out there!
Lovely job BTW!

Bob

archiduque02 Sep 2011 8:48 a.m. PST

Excellent unit Raglan!

Rafa

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.