Help support TMP

"DAS Pronto - Handling Characteristics???" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

Back to the Dioramas Message Board

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

Action Log

02 Jan 2009 6:23 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "DAS Pronto--Handling Characteristics???" to "DAS Pronto - Handling Characteristics???"

1,940 hits since 2 Jan 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Mugwump02 Jan 2009 3:38 p.m. PST

Hi All,

I'm asking for information on the sculpting compound DAS Pronto (white) since I just got some for sculpting fungoid vegetation for photographs for the illustrations in "Dead Earth Saga RPG." (Red Star Life for those of you have downloaded the PDF.)

I have a couple of questions and any other tips you can give me.

-Can DAS Pronto be used without an armature for things up to 10 inches high (25 cm) and 1 inch wide (2.5 cm)
-How does it handle painting with acrylics (water based paints with medium to thin consistancy) and how does it handle washes?
_I've heard of problems of shrinkage and cracks with DAS Pronto. Is this a problem and if so how to control/minimize this? Is there a way around this?
-How well does this take detail when sculpting, roughly the same as green stuff or more like "play doh?"
-How long does it take to dry?

Thanks in Advance,
Mugwump (Keith)

Angel Barracks02 Jan 2009 3:53 p.m. PST

I found it quite stringy almost and not great for capturing detail.
I found filing it once dry quite tricky and it did not work out well.
I can not be sure exactly why I did not like it but I know that I would never use it again.

Miliput is much better in my opinion but costs more.

Michael.
angelbarracks.co.uk

The Black Tower Inactive Member02 Jan 2009 5:00 p.m. PST

Das seems to be a mixture of potters clay and papier mache.
This limits the detail it can take

Yes it can shrink and it does need a armature for large items.
Finished items need to be sealed with varnish

It may be OK for making toadstool shapes but I would rather use Miliput

Personal logo Count Belisarius Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2009 2:33 a.m. PST

A friend who sculpts commercially suggested using an equal mix of Green Stuff and Milliput. He uses it for sculpting 15mm figs and it takes fine detail very well frm what I've seen. I've only tried Green Stuff and found it a little soft when doing fine work in that detail 'springs back' a little. The addition of Milliput seems to counter this and gives a very hard finish.

Don't know if that helps? :-)

Andy

normsmith Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2009 4:51 a.m. PST

Good material, but I made some bases and the edges raised as the base shrank during drying.

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP03 Jan 2009 4:59 a.m. PST

It is fibrous and doesn't file that well, nor does it take incised detail well once dry. If you can work in detail while still wet it is OK but use a wet tool for best results.

I would say that an armature or some sort of support would be needed for such a large item, it isn't that strong and does tend to shrink. Can't say I noticed any cracking though.

Mugwump04 Jan 2009 5:44 a.m. PST

Thanks All, and I'll do some experiments/sculpts with it and see what comes out. I may even try a humidity box (potters drying cabinant) and see it it helps against cracking and uneven drying.

M-

klingsor05 Jan 2009 7:23 a.m. PST

It is quite good for crude bulky things like stonework, at the moment I am trying (again) to make a broch using Das applied over a plastic tub – ironically an empty polyfiller tub. The plan is to apply a fairly even coating and then attack it once it has set with engraving tools and a Dremel. This worked fairly well for the stone chimney of a log cabin I made last year from Das over a foamcore carcase.

I have found that it does not work well at all without an armature or backing of some sort as it simply lacks the strength.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.